If a leaky tap or a blocked pipe sends you running for the phone, don’t panic. The following are some simple plumbing tips that everyone should know. They will help you deal with simple household problems – and know when to call the professionals.
Five Simple Plumbing Tips
Every householder should know these five basic plumbing tips. They’ll save on unnecessary call outs and can save you money in the long run!
- Know where the water mains tap is: if the worst happens and you spring a leak, shutting off the water is your first line of defence.
- Unblock that drain: if your drains are blocked get the plunger out, then pour hot water followed by baking soda down the drain. The simple solution? Buy plumbing drain screens and don’t pour grease down the sink.
- Winterise your pipes: this is a simple DIY job and can save you a fortune. Pipe insulation supplies are available from all good DIY stores and can be fitted quickly and simply in an afternoon.
- Don’t flush unless it’s flushable: baby wipes, kitty litter and disposable nappies are just some of the things that should never be flushed down the toilet. Learn to use your plunger or a plumber’s snake to clear any blockage.
- Fix a dripping showerhead: this is a simple operation if you simply unscrew the showerhead and use plumber’s tape to stop the leak. Soak your showerhead for an hour in equal parts of vinegar and warm water to remove any limescale deposits.
Know when you need a Plumber
Quite a few plumbing jobs around the home can be straightforward, but it all depends on your level of DIY skills and expertise. While anyone can unblock a sink, you may not feel comfortable fixing or replacing a tap or a leaking toilet. That’s when it’s time to call the UK Commercial Group and get one of our expert plumbers to do the job for you.Previous Next
Choose an Employer
that’s right for you
We’ve built our success on the skills and abilities of our people which is why we invest so much time and money in skills training and career development programmes that are same of the best in the industry. We want everyone who works for us to to fulfill their full potential and take their career with us as far as they can.Our Careers